Lifestyle Medicine explained
Lifestyle Medicine is an evidence-based approach and a powerful way to prevent, treat and in some cases, even reverse disease.
Successful Lifestyle Medicine works by creating new positive behaviours, which will replace unhealthy and negative habits.
There are six core pillars to Lifestyle Medicine, which are:
Learn how to nourish yourself from the inside out and work towards a predominantly plant-based diet, which is rich in fibre and nutrient-dense.
Not only is it essential for the immune system, but studies have shown that good quality sleep is beneficial to health, vitality and improved energy.
Everyone is different so find your own way to maintain regular and consistent exercise as part of your daily routine.
Stress can be at the root of many emotional and physical conditions so learn to find calm and balance in your everyday life, which reduces stress as much as possible.
Encourage positive relationships with those around you but first and foremost with yourself. Staying connected to those around you will bring emotional support and strength.
By eliminating harmful substances such as cigarettes and drugs and being sensible about alcohol intake, you are giving your body the best chance for a healthier lifestyle.
An evidence-based approach:
- Lifestyle Medicine is based on decades of research and is backed by evidence
- It is not an alternative practise and underpins many aspects of conventional medicine
- It is a holistic approach to health and wellbeing
- It considers all aspects of a person’s lifestyle and treats the underlying, root causes of disease
- It can lead to reducing or even eliminating the need for medication in some chronic conditions